Darby Allen – Fire Chief (Ret.)
During the catastrophic Alberta wildfires, fire chief Darby Allen shot to global acclaim for guiding the 88,000 residents of Fort McMurray to safety with no loss of life—the largest evacuation in Canadian history. Now, he offers guidance on how to be a stoic, quick-thinking leader in tough situations. We all face emergencies and crises—Allen shows us how to overcome them.
Known as the face of the Alberta wildfires—and widely celebrated as a national hero—Darby Allen is an exemplar of selfless courage and level-headedness under pressure. Allen was Regional Fire Chief of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, an area that encompasses the community of Fort McMurray. In spring 2016, he spearheaded the evacuation of the city’s entire population while the rest of the world watched. Throughout the ensuing weeks of operations, he worked tirelessly with first responders and volunteers, who came from across the nation (and globe) to assist. His updates to the media were not only a means of reliable information, but a source of optimism—Allen provided calm reassurance as the lead spokesperson throughout the rescue efforts.
Pam McIntyre – VP Safety and Asset Integrity – Canadian Natural Resources Ltd.
In a career as a Materials Engineer (spanning over 30 years), Pam McIntyre has developed a keen understanding of how to apply her technical knowledge to a broad spectrum of industrial applications including steelmaking, consulting, and the oil & gas industry. She has learned the importance of not losing sight of the interrelatedness of the technical, cultural/leadership and business aspects of an issue when developing an effective and sustainable solution.
During her time with Canadian Natural, Pam McIntyre has been fortunate to have the opportunity to build a dynamic high performing team to focus on Occupational Safety, Asset Integrity and Process Safety Management for a broad portfolio of assets including conventional and thermal oil and gas assets, oil sands operations and offshore North Sea/West Africa operations. Her passion for building integrated teams that work collaboratively within the organization as well as with key external stakeholders has resulted in her success within the company and being recognized as an industry leader in championing performance improvement.
Joel T. Amato – Chief Boiler Inspector
Joel Amato has been the chief boiler inspector for the state of Minnesota for 18 years. Prior to joining the state, he served in the United States Navy, and now has a total of over 30 years of industry experience. Joel is active in six important National Board groups. He’s Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Chairman of the Strategic Planning Committee, and a member on the Committee for Qualifications. Additionally, he is a member on three NBIC committees: The Main Committee, the Subcommittee for Repairs and Alterations, and Chairman of the Historical Boiler Subgroup. Joel represents a state with a considerable amount of historical boilers. Joel enjoys spending time out doors with his wife Suzanne and his three children, Sara, Brianna, and Thomas.
- 4 years’ experience in the United States Navy, Boiler Technician, Petty Officer Second Class
- 8 years boiler and gas turbine operating experience
- St Mary’s Medical Center, Long Beach, CA
- Lever Brothers Corporation, Commerce, CA
- Stroh’s Brewery, St Paul, MN
- 4 years boiler inspection experience
- Kemper Insurance
- Hartford Steam Boiler
- 18 years as Chief Boiler Inspector for Minnesota (1999-current)
- Responsible for the inspection of over 75,000 boilers and pressure vessels
- 35,000 Licensed Engineers
- 245 Historical Boilers
- 105 Boats
- Member of the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors for 17 years
- Elected as First Vice Chairmen on the Board of Trustees for the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors in (2006-2017)
- Elected to Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the National Board in May of 2017
- Chairman of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) Historical Boiler Subgroup (2014-current)
- Member of NBIC subcommittee and subgroup for repairs and alterations (2014-current)
- Member of NBIC Main Committee (2014-current)
- Chairman of the National Board Strategic Planning Committee (2015-current)
- Member of the National Board Committee on Qualifications (2012-current)